Ladies, I saw the app today and want to make you aware. It’s called “WheretheLadies.at?”
Before you go give the website “love”, let me sum it up for you and then I want to give you some general rules of my own that I have used for over two years now.
First, the app is for the iPhone. If someone pulls up the app it ranks nearby locations by the number of women who have checked into a place within the last 30 minutes. Apparently there is another app called Assisted Serendipity, which doesn’t have the time “advantage.” There is not protection for you, if you are checked-in, anyone can see it on this app, you don’t have to be friends with the lame men who need an app to find women. Right now it is supposedly only in San Francisco but I think the topic and app is something everyone needs to know about.
As a Four Square user I have typically followed some general rules of my own and want you to remember to use your head before you check in on Four Square, Facebook or any other geo-tagging/check in application.
- You don’t need to check into every place you go.
- You don’t have to check in upon arrival.
- IF you are checking for a special (like the free jeans at Gap, or free chips at Chili’s) take your thought process a couple of steps deeper:
- Are you alone and is the dollar chips worth a check in?
- What time of day is it?
- Can you do it at check out instead of upon arrival.
- 99% of the time, I have checked into a place when I leave.
- The other 1% are when I have protection.
I started this because a had a magazine sales man who would stalk my office trying to get me to introduce him to others in the office and he just wouldn’t take no for an answer, I forgot I “friended” him. Needless to say I un-friended him, and was glad he showed up AFTER I left. I haven’t ever been in danger (that I know of) and it isn’t worth it.
I do like giving my favorite places a little Love by checking in, but not everyone deserves my love. Think before you do it. And please share your love on this one, every woman you know needs to know about this.